1/11/09

T.I @ Hammerstein

7:30 pm is what the ticket stub read for the start of the concert, I don’t think so. More like 9:45ish, the lights turned down low in anticipation for what’s to come for the night. The crowd was on their feet ready to get the party started.

Not surprising that a guest artist would open up for the headliner. Of course, I mean it doesn’t seem right that the headliner would come out to a cold crowd like that. But it was surprising to who came out first, Slim (ex lead singer from 112). And it looked like he was in need of his boys because he was dreadful on stage. Stage presence, engaging the crowd, resorting a lot on his DJ, Slim embodied that of an amateur act. And I wasn’t the only one who thought that, the reaction from the crowd said it all. No one was feeling him as he went through his songs that were mostly from his 112 years. Songs like “Cupid” and “Peaches and Cream.” But the whole performance wasn’t a complete disaster as he got a relatively decent response to his recent single, “So Fly.” It was a good idea to save that song for last because to be perfectly honest that was the only way to salvage that performance.

A good transition from that performance was Jamie Foxx. The comedian/actor turned R&B sensation uplifted the crowd with his smooth vocals and newly acquired swag. As he came out singing cuts from his new album (that I must say isn’t too bad), Intuition. Not giving us too much but just enough to have us entertained until the T.I came out. And the reception from the crowd was actually very welcoming to J. Foxx. I must say it was a good look for him and was a smart move to showcase some song on his album. But Jamie never makes you forget about his comedic side as he attempted to freestyle right before he went on stage. Very smooth J. Foxx.

Finally it was that dude from Bank head, the undisputed “King of the Souf,” yes the “souf,” don’t get it twisted. T.I came out banging and the crowd erupted, literally. Every one on their feet showing love to the man we’ve all been waiting for. T.I.P took us through a whirlwind of his hits he’s accumulated through the years; “What you know about me”, “Top Down”, “What ever you like” to “Live Your life.” His on stage performance was explosive and thoroughly entertaining with each song. But I’d have to say the most intriguing part of his performance was when he gave thanks to us (the fans) for sticking by him through all his trials and tribulations he's encountered. A rare moment at most concerts but I could definitely felt the intimate connection T.I made with the crowd. Maybe it was because he was caught up in the emotion of the concert or that the venue, since it was a smaller arena. Whatever it was, T.I put on a stellar performance from start to finish that was truly from the heart out of pure appreciation. With that T.I, we thank you.


DF

No comments:

Post a Comment